Lemon Fudge Shortbread Bars
Fudge is such a traditional sweet for the holidays and is always a popular selection. As much as I love desserts and sweets, I find fudge to be too cloyingly sweet and heavy. Lemon has always been a favourite flavour of mine for desserts so when I was debating about posting a fudge recipe, I thought this was a marriage made in heaven. The tartness of the lemon helps add freshness and cuts down the sugary sweetness of the fudge. The shortbread crust and coconut topping helps add some texture and a different kind of sweetness.
In my pictures I had tripled the recipe because I was making a large batch for a party.
You will need:
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups white chocolate chips
1 tsp lemon extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup shredded coconut (your choice of sweetened or non-sweetened)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Line a square cake pan with foil and grease. I over hang the foil so that it is easy to life the fudge out.
- Mix all the shortbread ingredients together until it is crumbly.
- Pat the crust down as evenly as possible and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Now start on the fudge. Do not start the fudge too early because it sets so easily and you want it right off the stove when you pour it into the crust. Pour the condensed milk into a heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- As it begins to heat up, add the chocolate chips.
- Once all the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth, add the lemon extract and rind. Mix well.
- Pour over the crust
- Sprinkle the coconut evenly across the top and lightly press down. Let the fudge cool for at least 3-4 hrs before cutting. You can place it in the fridge to set it further.
- Millionaire’s shortbread for Mum (lydiatoson.com)
- A Christmas Favorite – Fudge (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Lemon Shortbread (sassyandpaleoish.wordpress.com)
- Crazy delicious chocolate peanut butter fudge (newsfixnow.com)
- Divinity Fudge (thedomesticrebel.com)
- Millionaire’s Shortbread (foodandothers.wordpress.com)
- Oh, Fudge! (lovethosehandsathome.wordpress.com)
- Coffee and Cinnamon Fudge (ochealthycoffee.wordpress.com)