Simply striking and strikingly simple. Recipes, crafts, home decor and general life hacks that are easy yet impressive.
We continue this series of rolling recipes by picking up on cornmeal, the main ingredient in the last recipe in this series. Tis Apple Cornmeal Upside Down Cake is moist, flavourful and a perfect dessert for the cool Fall weather. Apple picking season is coming to a close and there’s more varieties than ever that can be found at your local grocer. What better way to use up those apples, and the extra cornmeal in your pantry than to pair it together to make a delicious dense cake.
You will need:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
9 inch cake pan well greased and the bottom lined wit parchment paper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
1) In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, melt 2 tbsp butter and 1/2 of white sugar over medium heat.
2) Stir the carmel often. After approx. 5 minutes it will begin to brown
3) Add the sliced apples to the caramel and cover for 5 minutes.
4) Remove lid and continue to simmer the apples for another 10 minutes or until the caramel begins to thicken
5) Pour the apples into the greased cake pan
6) In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder
7)In a large mixing bowl, add the cornmeal and boiling water. Mix lightly. Add eggs, vanilla, and honey. Mix well.
8) Add milk and flour mixture, alternating additions in 1/3’s.
9) Pour mixture over apple caramel
10) Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
11) Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes before carefully inverting the cake onto cake plate